And here it is again, the time of year when we usually stay outdoors as long as we can. We simply love it. If we could, we would even sleep outside, since it is dry and warm. Or, better said, hot but still wonderful.
But it isn’t as simple as that. The Sun is getting stronger and hotter every year and the truth is that awareness is growing about how it affects our skin, and nobody with a bit of sense for their family’s health will go outside before getting well prepared.
Before we even think of going outside, we need to think primarily about what we have done to have a safe and healthy stay outdoors. Then party can really begin with no worries.
In recent years, we already got familiar with very important tips when going outdoors:
1. Wear protective clothing,
2. Plan around the Sun (check on UVA and UVB index),
3. Don’t get burned,
4. Wear sunglasses,
5. Find Shade,
6. Bring Shade,
And finally, equally important, Sunscreen should be your last resort, as found on EWG’s web site.
However, when there are kids involved, there can be no exception. Everything listed must be included and checked off on your TO-DO list.
So, whether you choose Adorable Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+, or Kiss My Face Organics Kids Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30, I leave it up to you, ‘cause I am sure you will get to know the product you’re buying, like I did, buying the one that suits you best.
You have a choice, and a good, healthy one can be found that suits your skin the best. You just have to look for it. You can even compare it. Or, find a completely chemical free product.
And another very important thing. Please, get familiar with what you put on your skin, especially when it comes to kids. So, please, read the label.
Here are a few recent tips from the relevant EWG’s Guide to Sunscreens.
1. Look for a Cream, a broad-spectrum protection, and water-resistant,
2. Look for the SPF that suits your needs, 15-50,
3. Look for ingredients as Zinc Oxide, Avobenzome, or Mexoryl SX,
4. Avoid Oxybenzone, Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate), added insect repellent,
5. Avoid sprays, powders and SPF above 50,
6. Be a friend to your environment and get informed on how to dispose of an empty package or an outdated cream.
Do all this and you are ready and safe to go outside and enjoy a beautiful sunny day! Have a nice one!